"Hi, my laptop won't start"

 “Digital Natives are used to receiving information really fast”, says Prensky when discussing the phenomenon of the digital native (2001, p.2). This quote stuck out to me as I reflect on being a digital native and this past week. To fill you in, this past week two distinct things happened, I lost my wallet and my laptop’s motherboard crashed. While I found my wallet, after two hours of intense searching, I did not anticipate my laptop shutting off in the middle of an episode of “Rupaul’s Drag Race”. With a deep breath, I made the dreaded phone call to Apple and prepared myself for the “Command, 4” or “Control, Shift, Alt, +” instructions I was bound to receive as they helped me reboot my computer. Unfortunately, this led to no avail, and even further led to me having to take my computer in for repair. 

That Wednesday felt challenging, not only because of the pricetag of my laptop’s motherboard, but because I was not able to access what I needed as quickly as I needed to. In my other post, I spoke about the intense relationship between my assistantship and technology, and my computer being down reflected that relationship. It was a stressful day as what seemed like a piece of me was inaccessible for me. I was genuinely sad to see my baby girl (yes my laptop) going through surgery, but hey she made it!


While I was not part of the Monkey Wrench or other similar digital engineering software games within the classroom, I certainly grew learning, quickly, about technology, but truly my question remains: can you blame me? I needed to know it to keep up with peers and the technologically dependent environment. Is this a good or bad thing? You tell me!


References:

Prensky, M. (2001). Digital natives, digital immigrants part 1. On the Horizon, 9(5), 1-6.

Comments

  1. Hi Ravi! Thank you for sharing with us your experience. I could not imagine what I would have done in that moment with my laptop crashing, not only during a favorite show but knowing that we are in classes for the summer and have several work related responsibilities. I often do not think about "what if I did not have my laptop", because it is a natural part of my every day life, because I ALWAYS have to do something on it. I am glad that your baby girl made it through surgery and that you were able to still stay motivated and committed to your responsibilities! Kudos to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Travel and Social Media

Howdy and Hello!

Digital Community!