Amanda and Her Blog

One thing I LOVE to do is listen to podcasts. Often when I am traveling, or just to get my day started, I listen to the latest true crime podcast about a scammer or bank robber (I stray away from murdery ones because those scary me). Anyways, one that I started this week is called Scamanda and it speaks of the story of Amanda C. Reilly who is a blogger and was found to be faking cancer (sorry for the spoiler). This podcast is so interesting because it covers not only the ways in which Amanda uses her church to fundraise for her cancer treatment, but also, her utilization of her blog to update her supporters along her journey (Webster, 2023). “How despicable” one might think as they reflect on the lie of cancer as being the pathway into deceiving people out of money. Not only was this despicable, it is also , unfortunately, duplicable. 

As we participate in writing our own blogs, we have the opportunity to teach and learn and participate in an incredibly educational process for this class and beyond. Dr. Dennen has mentioned her utilization of her blog to educate those around her on her expertise as well. It provides an incredible opportunity for accessible information to audiences around the world. So too, though, does it provide a great deal of space for scams. Scamanda is nowhere near the first podcast I have heard regarding the use of technology in scamming someone. Digital natives may be attune to this potential danger, but even they, as seen by many of the folks scammed by Amanda, can be fooled. Technology is important and pivotal and is a great thing, but what do we do as scams continue to arise from it? Do we protect ourselves and continue utilizing technology as normal? Do we build stronger legislation that reflects technological fraud? Can we do both? Should we do both?


References

Prensky, M. (2001). Digital natives, digital immigrants part 1. On the Horizon, 9(5), 1-6.


Webster, C. (Host). (2023 - present). Scamanda [Audio Podcast]. Lionsgate Sound. https://open.spotify.com/show/3UNxeZPD5fDSzm26mqTjgc?si=4536ccfc248f49a4


Comments

  1. Hi Ravi,
    I too listen to podcasts and have a blog post about one I listened to this week! Reading your post about scamming in the digital age just brings me back to previous discussions and worries of privacy. While I value my own privacy in the digital space, I think subconsciously that might also have to do with fear of the unknowns. It's almost like a toddler playing peek-a-boo. If I can't see them, they can't see me.
    As far as your questions about stronger legislations - I don't know. I think there are massive pros to legislation around preventing fraud, but I don't know how that could be written to be effective/enforceable, and the thing about scammers: they will always find a way and they probably wouldn't care about any legislation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Travel and Social Media

Howdy and Hello!

Digital Community!